Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Do Your Volleyball Skills Need a Spring Cleaning?

It happens to me every spring. As winter starts to loosen its grip and my neighbor’s tulips sneak a peek, I start the countdown to the first day of beach volleyball. It should be noted that as this itch begins I’m still playing on various indoor leagues - but it makes no difference, I’ve started to yearn sand. Unfortunately, my delirium isn’t acute enough to ignore the obvious: I am not ready.

When you are one of two players covering a sand court under a July sun, you better be willing to run, dive, pass dead-on, and never give up. But as a libero playing with five other players on the court, I have to admit that before I hit the sand my skills need a little spring cleaning.

Thankfully, there are a few camps available in the New Jersey area that can polish up my game – and yours.

Bob Bertucci Camps (www.bobbertucci.com)

  • Day Camps: offered in 3 9 a.m.-5 p.m. days. 2 Sessions in the area available: June 29-July1, 2009 in Medford, NJ; July 6-8 in Brodheadsville, PA. Bertucci also offer a team camp.
  • Kutztown University Weekender. June 5-7, 2009 @ Kutztown, PA. Accommodation and food provided

Pat Powers Clinics (www.vbclinics.com)

  • June 27-28, 2009 Long Island, NY
  • Nov 21-22, 2009 Cherry Hill, NJ (ok, this date is after beach season, but what the heck.)

Rebels Volleyball Clinics (www.geocities.com/livingstonvb99)

  • A series of five Sunday clinics starting on Sunday, April 5, 2009 to be held at Oak Knoll School in Summit, NJ. Participants do not need to commit to the entire series to attend.

Know of any others? Please share.

(Photo Credit: inottawa on Flickr)

No comments: