Tuesday, November 18, 2008

I heart Words

I love words. I love tiny words that are anything but diminutive; and gargantuan words that are, in fact, minute. I adore knowing the meaning of an obscure word only because I recognize its Spanish cousin. I cherish professors like Dr. Fries who, although a history professor, started each class by scrawling a word-of-the-day on Misericordia's chalkboards. I own the word plethora because it made frequent appearances on his board - though I am, somewhat, sadden that few people ever use it. I envy languages that have 37 words to describe snow; I revel in Latin music with its declaration of love absent of the actual word. I stop reading an intriguing paragraph to jot down 'peripatetic - moving or traveling from place to place' and marvel at the sound of the word - its rhythm hinting at its meaning.

In thanks to both words and those who have shared them with me, I will pay homage to as many as possible. Stop by for a visit: Words I Love.

No comments: